Today – 27th January – is Holocaust Memorial Day. On this day we remember the barbaric massacre of millions of Jews (alongside other people classed as “undesirables” by Hitler), barely one century ago. As we are called to remember the genocide and we repeat: “Never again“, we must truly reflect. For the utterance of these two words have not stopped the violence, the prejudice, the bloodshed. War, torture, genocide…is carrying on as we speak.
In light of this, I’d like us on reflect on the following – especially as we remember the past and we envisage an unknown bleak future in the current socio-political climate and the fear rising from Trump’s new role as POTUS: we are the people. Humanity is one and we are responsible for the way we treat others and the way we respond to hate rhetoric. Regardless of our differences we must unite, remembering our similarities and enjoining in good. Are we all really that different?! No! Embrace your differences – it’s what makes you unique. The world would be so dull if we all came from one mono culture! However, at the same time: unite in solidarity.
With this in mind, I’d also like us to remember one thing in particular: The Golden Rule. The teaching of: treat others the way you wish to be treated! Whatever your faith, it’s there! And wouldn’t the world be a safer, happier, more tolerant place to be if we all remembered this “rule”? I’m convinced so! So here’s The Golden Rule according to the world’s 10 largest faith groups (listed in ascending order of population size). Enjoy!
- ~4 million followers worldwide (0.01% of the world’s population)
- 4.5 million followers worldwide (0.06% of the world’s population)
- 7 million followers worldwide (0.1% of the world’s population)
- ~8 million followers worldwide (0.15% of the world’s population)
- 20 million followers worldwide (0.3% of the world’s population)
- 30 million followers worldwide (0.4% of the world’s population)
- 400 million followers worldwide (7% of the world’s population)
- 1 billion followers worldwide (15% of the world’s population)
- 1.6 billion followers worldwide (23% of the world’s population)
- 2.3 billion followers worldwide (32% of the world’s population)
So, there we have it: 10 faiths, one rule, one humanity. If we really want “never again” to mean something in terms of action, then we need to respect our differences yet remind ourselves that we all have the same obligations towards ourselves and our global brothers and sisters. Ask yourself this when you’re in a situation: Would I want this? How would I feel in such situation…?
Salam! Shalom! Peace! ♥
Sources and credits:
Statistics from: Waterlow, R. (2017) ‘Top 10 Largest Religions in the World‘, World’s Top Most
Feature image: Leo Reynolds
All images are edited versions of photographs first published under a Creative Commons licence, unless otherwise stated (see credits). For terms of usage visit Flickr.
Photo editing and design: Elizabeth Arif-Fear