The other week I went to a fantastic interfaith poetry and storytelling night ran by Feeding Folk – a Jewish-Muslim project working to serve the homeless across London. The event itself was held at a gem of a little place called Rumi’s Cave in North London. A wonderful homely place, it reflected the fantastic teachings of Jalal ad-Din Muhammad Rumi, a 13th-century Persian Sunni Muslim poet, Islamic jurist, theologian and Sufi mystic whose words inspire peace, love and spirituality. Rumi – a key figure from the Islamic Golden Age – is one of the most popular poets worldwide and a true inspiration with his works translated into multiple other languages.
With this in mind, I’d like to present 20 amazing quotes from Rumi himself which inspire love, peace and a soothing spirituality. Feel the love, soak up the wisdom and revel in their beauty!
1. “Raise your words, not your voice. It is rain that grows flowers, not thunder.”
2. “If light is in your heart, you will find your way home.”
3. “The only lasting beauty is the beauty of the heart.”
4. “When the world pushes you to your knees, you’re in the perfect position to pray.”
5. “Only from the heart can you touch the sky.”
6. “Love is not an emotion, it is your very existence.”
7. “When you let go of who you are, you become who you might be.”
8. “The beauty you see in me is a reflection of you”
9. “Wear gratitude like a cloak and it will feed every corner of your life.”
10. “Through love, thorns become roses.”
11. “Your heart knows the way, run in that direction.”
12. “Where there is ruin, there is hope for treasure.”
13. “Giving thanks for abundance is greater than the abundance itself.”
14. “All doubt, despair and fear become insignificant once the intention of life becomes love.”
15. “Be a lamp, or a lifeboat, or a ladder. Help someone’s soul heal.”
16. “Love is the bridge between you and everything.”
17. “Know that one day, your pain will become your cure.”
18. “We are born of love: love is our mother.”
19. “Your task is not to seek for love, but merely to seek and find all the barriers within yourself that you have built against it.”
20. “You have within you more love than you could ever understand.”
So in the footsteps of Rumi, find peace with yourself and you’ll be at peace with the world!